Hydra Constellation

 Hydra is the largest of the 88 constellations. It occupies an area of 1303 square degrees in the night sky. I could only capture half of it. But I got lucky to capture the part which represents the hindu astrology star Aayilyam/Aslesha. The nearest Zodiac constellation it maps to is Cancer and Aayilyam is given the Kadaga raasi. Similarly, the Corvii stars - Hastham in Tamil falls closer to the Zodiac constellation Virgo, given Kanni raasi.

Hydra belongs to the Hercules family of constellations, along with Aquila, Ara, Centaurus, Corona Australis, Corvus, Crater, Crux, Cygnus, Hercules, Lupus, Lyra, Ophiuchus, Sagitta, Scutum, Sextans, Serpens, Triangulum Australe and Vulpecula.

The brightest star in Hydra constellation is Alphard, Alpha Hydrae. There are two meteor showers associated with the constellation: the Alpha Hydrids and the Sigma Hydrids.

For reference, I have posted a picture that has the full hydra constellation and how it encompasses other constellations near by. So, what I have captured is literally the quarter part of it and not even half I must say. I captured it a week back at 10 pm in the west sky.

Comments

Popular Posts